Saturday, August 27, 2011

"That man ate all our shrimp...and two plastic lobsters"

Brunch. The gayest (and therefore the best) meal of the day.

Today's brunch is brought to you by Masa 14.

Masa had been on my "to do" list for a while and I finally had someone to go with. The delightful Sara Brunow.

We got there before the doors opened which turned out to be pretty unnecessary as there was plenty of space. We sat down and knew before going that we were doing the unlimited brunch for $35 (including drinks). We perused the menu and ordered some breakfast-y items and drinks. Sara got the Masa Mimosa and I tried the Lychee Bellini.

Can someone please clarify whether it is pronounced lie-chee or lee-chee for me? I have now officially heard "people who should know" (read: Chinese people) pronounce it both ways and I keep making myself look like an ass when I order anything with lychee in it. I just want the confidence in my pronunciation so that no matter how they say it back to me, even if in a corrective tone, I can think to myself "no way mister, screw you. I said it lie-chee and I know I'm right so you can take your lee-chee crap elsewhere because that don't fly over here."

While the lychee was fantastic, the Masa Mimosa is clearly the winner of the drink race. The Masa Mimosa is a regular mimosa but instead of orange juice it has blood orange juice and a hint of mango puree which was amazing. Bottomless is a dangerous term but thankfully I wasn't in the mood to get smashed.

Now to the food. The most amazing thing we had was easily the chorizo plate. Had the waitress just brought that dish out over and over again I would have been satisfied. Their granola was really great with a hint of vanilla/almond to it that I enjoyed. I was a bit underwhelmed by both the tuna steak and the chilaquiles although both still good they just didn't stand out with quite as much flavor or pop as the rest of the dishes did. Everything else we tried was quite good and the overall experience was pretty solid. With attentive waitstaff (my water was never less than 1/3 empty...but who's drinking water here really?), great ambiance, yummy (and bottomless) food and drink for a reasonable price it's tough to go wrong here. I'll certainly head back and probably lounge around a bit longer. With a larger group or date it would be a great way to spend your 11am-2pm Sunday time frame and then leave stuffed and buzzed. Sara and I had to roll out early to get some errandy things done and having already made asses of ourselves mispronouncing lychee and talking too loudly (theatre voices) of our sex lives (limited shame) it was probably best to leave before the bell rang anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment