Friday, August 12, 2011

Acrobatic Boobies

NYC. A city of "experience". Millions flock here to experience something. Theatre, food, culture, drugs, alcohol, excess, poverty and beauty. Constantly changing and moving. Even writing about NYC at all in a way seems cliche. Every writer and their mother talks about New York. All the theatre kids flock here to "make it". Everyone who grew up in a small town feeling like they didn't belong finds their niche in New York or dreams of finding it there at some point. So much to do and see and a constantly changing and growing landscape with an unceasing pace make this the perfect city to experience all sorts of things. (Hence the delay in writing about it, there was a whole lot of stuff crammed into three days and I wanted to include some pictures for this one. Maybe I can learn how to budget some time in the morning or something to get this done in the future. Damn you complete lack of self-discipline. Damn you.)

I'm quite honestly a bit intimidated of New York. Could I live here? Sure. I'm adaptable and pretty savvy about most things so I think I could totally "handle" living there. Every time previous to this trip I've come to NYC thinking "It's such a cool city but I don't think I'd want to live there." This trip I may have changed my mind. This time I thought it could be great to live there just for a year or two to really get the feel of the city and understand it...at least to some degree. Still, I wonder if I could keep up with the pace. Where would I find my "break" time? Where would I get the quiet moments? I know they exist here but they're pretty tough to find when you're just on a quick visit. Maybe one day in the future though a post will be titled "The Big Move". Until then, long weekends will have to do.

I arrived in New York as the sun was heading down and met up with Cathy's friend Cole (who's apartment we graciously crashed at) and we all went out to grab dinner at a vegetarian/vegan Thai place called Red Bamboo which was pretty tasty. We took a brief stop at a gay bar called "Boots and Spurs" (maybe?) where Cathy and Keri touched a footlong in a mesh hammock (I do have pictures but I don't think I'm allowed to post those) then we jetted off to meet Danielle (Cathy's bestie) and her boy Joe (both of whom have amazingly thick Bostonian accents which I for one find adorable...not the word most Bostonians would probably want attributed to their accent but trust I mean it with best intentions...it's a sexy accent and it makes me like you more so talk bean town to me). Our destination was "The Floating Kabarette" at a spot called the Galapagos Art Space.

The space is beautiful. My lame iPhone photos can't do anything justice but I'll include a couple.

I want a space like this.

There are two levels, the main level has 6 islands shooting off of a main aisle where patrons and performers can walk to get to their seats and the stage. The main stage is a proscenium and has a very minimalist charm to it. The stereotypical red curtain and velvet ropes separate the stage from the audience and our enigmatic host Bastard Keith paraded and entertained. Keith was a great blend of camp and talent and was a great MC for the show. The show opened with the performers from "Suspended Cirque" who had a great routine from hanging silks. The aerialists were just mindblowing, in particular the male members of the company. The movements being combos of sexuality, power and grace. It was truly inspiring (and makes you feel like the weakest piece of shit that ever walked the earth when you see them roll themselves up to the ceiling in the silks with their arms).


Here we have the ladies opening act. There was a third member who was performing on stage but these guys had our focus clearly. Core strength + 1000

Here are the menfolk: one singing a version of "Mad World" the other blowing my mind.

HOW DO YOU DO THIS?

The other "main act" so to speak was Jenny Rocha and her Painted Ladies who combined hardcore tap dancing (which I wouldn't have really believed existed until seeing them perform), Burlesque and a playful theatricality into what ended up being some amazing performances which I would categorize as the most turned on by women I've ever been .

This may be the first time I've had to "think about baseball"
with ladies.

If you made Stomp sexy and took off all their clothes and added pasties, you would have the above photo.

Interspersed between these acts were some great burlesque performers (who ranged from a pretty hot take on Alice in Wonderland to a pretty terrifying take on BDSM with lots of violent pelvic outbursts and flailing).

The group's agreed upon favorite.

There was a singer who had a decent voice who “remade” songs into a bit dirtier versions and it was fine and decent filler but nothing terribly exciting. We also were treated to the intensely weird but equally intriguing comedic stylings of Manchego the rail thin, poofy haired yet balding comedian who adeptly dealt with a Jersey Shore Douche Bag (JSDB) and ended up in a gas mask and tighty whities snapping a whip at a confused but well mannered chubby gay jewish guy tied to a chair.


There are lots of moments in my life, this being one of them, where I think to myself "I grew up in Harlan, Kentucky and now here I am watching a skinny caricature of a man wearing a gas mask snapping a whip at a tied up gay Jew while sipping on bourbon and coke...how did I get here?" I'm always pretty happy to be in those places.

After the show ended we all went out to some bars in NYC and ended up at a pretty cool spot called 2A. It was a low key and chill spot until the inevitable bar fight broke out and a dude punched a window and spidered it out. After some police drama and lots of drunken yelling the guy was arrested and taken off. We had a pretty great time overall though and we stayed out until around 4:30am then made our way back to Washington Heights to crash.

Night 1 officially closes as the sun starts to rise on the city.

1 comment:

  1. I always have those realizations, too. "I am just a little critter from the hills...how did I get here, and how is this the very same world that my family is occupying right now somewhere in those hills? How do the two places exist at the same time?" It feels like they have to be mutually exclusive.

    ReplyDelete