Saturday, August 27, 2011

Second star to the right and straight on till morning.

I never want to grow old.

Now not "old" the way kids say old when they think of 30 (which is just barely over 2 years away) or 40 or even 50. Old to me isn't so much a number as it is a state of being. Things give out. Our bodies can only take so much and enough wear and tear and we're all gonna deteriorate sooner or later. We can slow this down by treating our bodies well and by staying in the right mindset but it's going to happen to everyone eventually. I am fully aware that I will not be as spry or limber as I am today when I am in my 50's. No getting around it.

But.

I won't have to consider myself "old" when the 50's run around necessarily. Old to me is "given up". You can be much older than 50 and still not be "old" as I use the term. I don't think anyone is "old" until they are done living. Sure your capabilities change but that means you readjust and figure out where to find the life and the youth in the parameters your body gives you. Can't mountain bike anymore? Go for a walk on the trail. Can't walk the trail anymore? Try a wheelchair. Can't use a wheelchair? Paint a picture of the trail. Can't hold a paintbrush too long? Dictate a story about it. You get my point. Life is about living and until I'm in a box (or more likely scattered in the ocean) I don't plan on stopping. If I ever get to a point where my days are spent being unable to take care of myself, lonely and in pain then I don't want to extend that time any longer. Life throws stuff at us and who knows if I'll even be able to walk tomorrow but hopefully I;ll be able to find life in whatever turn it takes.

Why this sudden ode to youth?

I went to visit my great Aunt in her assisted living community today. I go to visit her about once a month. I'm the only relative nearby so it's basically my duty. This all sounds pretty selfless but don't confuse me for a saint. While I definitely see how much my visits mean to her and at the end of the day I'm glad to go...it's a giant pain in the ass.

Ask anyone who has had an aging relative and (if they're not sugar coating it like an old southern lady is wont to do) they'll tell you it's tough. The older you get it seems the more set in your ways you are (somewhat rightfully so, you've earned it) but with that comes a stronger sense of annoyance when things aren't as you see fit. To block out one of my days off in a time period where I already have next to no free time is a tough sell especially when the things we often talk about aren't terribly fun. Now and then I'll get a good story about my family or some of her work history (she had a high government clearance level...but she's a good former worker and never tells me any of the really good stuff) but most of the time we talk about which of her friends are sick or dying, how terrible her doctor's appointments were or Charlie's bowel movements.

(Her cat. I could have placed the parenthesis right after his name but what fun would that be?)

Aunt Betty, while certainly a sweet old lady who means well by all her friends and family, is still a bit at odds with many of my viewpoints and at times difficult to interact with. Of my family however, she and I probably do share the most liberal leanings but that's like saying she's the skinniest girl at Kirstie Alley's house. (I kid, I kid. I adore you Kirstie and you look great these days.) She is still extremely conservative but unlike most of my fam, she will listen to rebuttals and discuss her points with a somewhat (mis)informed POV without just shouting at you that you've been brainwashed by the "goddam liberal media". It's still tough though to gear up to go listen to how Obama is destroying the world, marriage should be between a man and a woman and Bill O'Riley has "some really good ideas" on my day off.

However, Aunt Betty is not what this post is about. I can handle her quirks because we have a pretty good mutual understanding that we're not going to agree on many issues but that's ok. (A disagreement in my family that doesn't end up in a shouting match?! Shocking.) That and of course she's my family and has done lots of really great things for me and those important to me so the least I can do is visit now and again. She's grateful to have someone come out to talk to her and help out with her computer and I'm happy to stock up some good karma points and actually feel connected to one side of my family. Aunt Betty and I have a pretty solid mutual understanding of each other even if our viewpoints are clashy.

This post is more about the slow spiral many people hit as they "get old". (Remember getting old and aging are two totally separate ideas for me.)

I am glad that she has someone around to come visit her mainly because when I arrive on the assisted living campus (it is like a sprawling college campus for the 65+ frat boy and sorority girl) you can feel the people there staring at you because you're young. For some of them it's a wistful look as if they are remembering their youth and what it was like when they were my age. Others it feels like they're actively trying to suck the youth out of you a la Hocus-Pocus (which PS scared me to death as a child). They stare at you from their rascal scooters as you walk by, some saying hi, others just staring and you can feel the eyes of most everyone in the room land squarely on you. It's a creepy feeling especially the first couple of times you visit. I'm a bit more acclimated to it now and I just smile and exude as much youth and vitality as I can and say hello to every person I pass just so they have some human interaction. It's really sad to think (know) that some of these people don't have anyone left in their lives. That they spend their days in pain missing days and people gone by. Longing for some form of real connection and interaction other than a casual hello from a guy with a beard walking down the hall going to meet someone who is not them. This, this is where I never want to end up.

I want to age. I want to grow and learn and experience. I want to fail and succeed and go new places. I want all the great things that come with getting older and I'm prepared to deal with the inevitabilities that come along with that. What I'm not prepared to do is live a life where I'm just stalling. If I get to a point where my friends and family are all dead. I can't move. I spend most of my day in pain. I lament even having to get up in the morning because of the supreme amount of effort it takes me. If I get to this point then I don't want to be there anymore.

Death is scary yeah but I'd rather check out what's behind door number eternity than cling to an unlivable life.

I'm ready to get older but in true Peter Pan form, I'll never be ready to be old.

1 comment:

  1. Amen. My mom has been saying "I'm too old to do that" since she was THIRTY! I am almost thirty, and I can tell you, I identify more with 18 year olds than anyone who calls herself OLD! WTF? I think it's a southern thing...get married at 18, have kids at 19, (or 17), and be "over the hill" at 25. NO WAY.

    ReplyDelete