Saturday, August 13, 2011

Get in and don't ask questions

Tuesday August 16th (to catch up on the date this *should* have been posted.

Not too much exciting to write about. The "return day" is always a bit mundane I think when you're coming off a trip high.

The only real notable experience was riding home (at 1:30am so it counts as happening on Tuesday) in an unmarked cab.

I got off the bus and was dreading finding a cab. As I approached the gates I was relieved to see a couple of cabs waiting and a guy asked me if I needed a cab. I enthusiastically forced out a "Yes!" in my sluggish half asleep state. Rather than whisking me off to his bright yellow cab he pointed to a lady who came up and asked me "where ya goin'?" and I told her my address and she said "Yeah, I'll take ya."

Now I still think she's going to lead me to her cab but she leads me to her Corolla with a strawberry shaped air freshener hanging from the dash and motions for me to sit in the front.

"Ummm, how much is it gonna cost to take me home?"
"Where do you live again?"
"14th and Webster, northwest..."
"Ohhh ummm that's gonne be $12."

That's about what I was anticipating so rather than dealing with the hassle of finding another cab I agreed.

Now if you've ever sat in the front of a cab you might be familiar with how awkward that kinda feels. You want to just zone out and either close your eyes, look out the window or play on your phone but it's a bit weird to do it when there is another person right across the arm rest from you but at least most of the time the driver doesn't really engage with you.

This was not Kristen's way.

"How was your trip?"
"Where did you go?"
"That sounds fun! Did you like it?"
"What do you do for work?"
"Ooooh I love spas, I just went to get my nails done last week and they *longer story than worth typing*"
"Oh so this is up past the Upshur pool? That's gonna be $14."

Damn it. I knew that would happen. I briefly considered telling her to just let me out there cause unmarked cabs are so sketch (I had already passed up about 3 in NYC when I was there due to sheer skeeze factor) but I was exhausted and couldn't imagine traipsing around looking for someone else to take me home. While mentally and verbally exhausting, Kristen was at least nice and had called me "boo" a couple of times and I'm a sucker for that.

By the end of our trip I had recommended Spaworld to her for her weekend plans and I had learned of her affinity for baths over showers and how spicy foods make her gassy.

Unmarked cabs...probably best as a last resort unless you're feeling chatty...or like you don't need that extra $4.

No comments:

Post a Comment