Monday, August 1, 2011

The (re)Beginning!

Well that sucked.

I, as predicted, did not keep up with blogging about my life. I've never been able to keep a journal and I can barely keep my laundry pile manageable. ("Manageable" translates to "not all over my floor".) I am clearly quite a success at this "being an adult" thing.

But after a bit of a blogging kick in the pants from other friends who all have topical things to discuss (cooking, crafting, non-monogomy, etc.) I realized why I could never keep up with a journalslashblog. Writing about my life with no "point" has no "goal". It has no "completion" and there's the lack of motivation when you have nothing terribly interesting to update with. ("I went to work and it sucked and I had a client and they were nice and I had some coffee before coming home to play Tiny Tower" just doesn't hold a reader's interest.)

So I wracked my brain for something topical I could motivate myself to write on. I love cooking but that market is cornered and I'm certainly not good enough to get much material past my failed abortions of the culinary variety. I just started biking the city but I'm not fanatical enough to write a blog about it. I'm gay so what about GLBT focused blog? Meh. I manage a spa, how about a massage therapy or spa based blog about upcoming trends in the spa world. (It makes me bored just reading the sentence.)

So what do I write about?

Being a travel writer was the closest label I could find that I really connected with but sadly due to time constraints and (more clearly) financial constraints, travel is not an activity I do as much as I'd like (and certainly not enough to fuel a blog). I've just got so much stuff going on. So many things to experience.

...Ding.

From henceforward, my humble corner of the blogosphere will be deemed an "Experience Blog". I plan on updating each day with some sort of "experience" from the day. I do some cool shit. I also do some excruciatingly boring shit too but so does everybody. Now, with renewed fervor and an extremely vague objective statement, I return to Ain't No Hummus in Harlan: The Experience Blog.

Posts will range in length and content from a word to a thesis. (It's clear I ramble...and use parenthesis more than someone with a strong grasp of grammar, language and sentence structure should.)

My hope is use my blog to showcase that even though I'm currently geographically sedentary that I still have all sorts of things going on, I just have to be conscious and aware of them. Riding a bike down a city street for the first time and really having the time to look around and see the beauty of a city you thought you knew. Getting hit by a car on your bike while riding down a city street for the first time and seeing that even rich and skinny white girls who drive Minis can be bitches...maybe especially rich and skinny white girls who drive Minis can be bitches. Seeing an ex at a party. Eating a disgusting meal at a fancy restaurant. Trying something new. Going somewhere new. Meeting someone new. Trying something again. Going somewhere again. Seeing someone again. "Experience blog" is perfect for me because it's a "direction" but it's the absolute vaguest direction you can imagine but one everyone can relate to. We all do shit. I'm gonna write about it.

God I hope something interesting happens tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. YAAAY I have been holding onto the vain hope that you'd be back! I agree...the topical blogs are so marketable, but they are just not for us LIVERS. I don't mean livers like chicken livers or anything. I mean, like, people who do DIFFERENT things every day! We ain't topical people, you know? So experience in general -- that's where it's at!

    ReplyDelete