Friday, August 12, 2011

Give my regards


So day 2 of New York is of course another whirlwind of activity but I've decided that I should try and keep things to a minimum when there's just tons and tons to write about. So this is by no means a full account of the day but hits the high point.

A Broadway show.

The Dramatic Arts major in my clamors to see something when I go visit. While there were clearly more "artistic" shows offered while I was there, budgetary and time restrictions (couldn't get to TKTS early enough to grab tickets to much else) helped me decide that I would be going to see that camp-tastic movie port of "Priscilla Queen of the Desert".


Rachel and I searched for about 15 minutes trying to find the theatre...another moment of "I wish they'd just put up a huge sign somewhere and then it'd be easier to fi....oh."

Gay confession time: I'm not a huge fan of this movie. I've seen it once and did really enjoy it but I couldn't quote it to save my life. I felt a bit like a poser rolling in but nevertheless glad to be there. My friend Rachel joined me for the trip and we ended up moving up a tad to get a bit better of a view. I was kicking myself for not getting the cheapest tickets possible because they moved EVERYBODY up. Oh well. This was our final view from the balcony.

Sparkles!

Of course I didn't take any pictures during the show (because I'm a respectful theatre patron) but that's where all the real visuals were. The costumes were insane and over the top. The dance numbers were well done and the quick changes were all super impressive. I felt like overall the characters were pretty engaging (with an especially touching yet humorous performance from Bernadette the full on transexual). The arrangements were fun and the staging exciting. We ended up actually seeing the understudy for Adam/Felicia who did a pretty solid job overall but you could tell that the chemistry was a bit different between the girls. It was really clear though that he was really enjoying the chance to take the lead so I couldn't fault him for anything. The final number culminates with every cast member on stage in over the top Australian themed costumes. (Read oversized koala heads and full body kangaroo jump suits etc. etc.) The girls came out in Victorian hoop skirts that transformed pretty flawlessly into the silhouette of the Sydney Opera House. Really nice touch.

While it wasn't ground breaking theatre and the audience didn't leave the theatre changed in any sort of profound way, it was a fun show with some great spectacle. Aristotle may say spectacle is the least important aspect of a show but I think in a show based around 3 drag queens in a pink bus the order may shift around a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment