Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Obligatory Inauguration Post

Well here he is. President #44 Barack Hussein Obama. See him? He's right up there in the center. He's actually waving to me in this one. We sorta had a moment.
I got to go to the inauguration and I stood right in front of the Washington Monument with about 1,999,999 others watching what was taking place about a mile away.

I could see the Capitol. I could see everyone's faces (on a jumbotron) and could hear everything in a strange echo like stereo.

Most of my friends avoided downtown DC like the plague today and I fully understand why. It was freezing cold, the metro was insane, walking anywhere near the mall or the parade route was ridiculous, it was crowded, stressful, uncomfortable and exhausting but damn I'm glad I went.

I had to be a part of this. I live in DC. There are people in the country, in the world even, who would give their left nut for the opportunity to just be in the same area code as this and I couldn't let it pass by without going out myself.

I have all sorts of hopes and thoughts about the upcoming 4 (maybe 8) years and I truly do believe that Obama can bring about some fantastic and wonderful change. (Of course, not on his own but it is nice to finally have a President that motivates the people and challenges them in a way that encourages rather than frustrates.) Will tomorrow I wake up and America be filled with Rainbows and Unicorns? No. I do sometimes fear that some people put a little too much faith into the "Change we can all believe in" but I lean on the side of it's better to be a little optimistic than to feel like your actions change nothing. Will Obama make mistakes? Yes. Will conservatives jump all over these to try and prove they were right? Yes. Will liberals hail everything he does correctly as the greatest gift e're given to the world? Yes. Politics are politics and you root for your side. It's like a giant (and much more important/influential) sport played primarily by (until recently) rich old white guys. It's easy to see how "the common man" has become somewhat disinterested and burnt out on the idea of politics. If nothing else, Obama has re-invigorated the public to turn an eye towards political ideals and the health and prosperity of our country. In my opinion, if that's the only thing he accomplishes as president, he's done something quite astounding. (Note: Here's hoping that's not the one and only achievement the Obama office can claim but I needed a good point t make and there it was.)

It was inspirational to see so many people attend the inauguration. People of all different races, religions, states, sexual orientations, creeds, dogmas, beliefs, hair styles, outerwear choices, habits, traits and other descriptive categories were in attendance. Some were very emotional, others reserved but all filled with the energy, spirit and hope tied to the day. After the 8 years of Bush many Americans felt burned out and disillusioned with the idea of our democracy. Myself included. However, he was indeed an elected official. Not just elected, but RE-elected. (Say what you will about Florida and hanging chads but if we had REALLY been motivated to steer Gore into office some improper actions (purposeful or not) in the nation's penis shouldn't have been the deciding factor. If Bush did one thing he set up a political climate that really motivated the public to take action and really campaign to make their voices heard and heard loudly.) Don't get me wrong. I am certainly not a Bush supported or anything like that, far from it...but I do think that if this idea of bi-partisanship is going to take hold, the liberal side of things really has to make an effort to reach the conservative groups on their turf a little bit. They're upset and they're ready to lash back at us with all they've got. We have to show them that even in our time of triumph that we are still good people with valid points of view. Not just tree-hugging hippie fags who want to donate money to everyone in the world so that they can plant organic corn to fuel our hybrid cars so that we can drive sick animals to the animal shelter and then make a stop off at the aborto-hut to rip out someone's fetus. No no fair conservative, we're more than that. Let's all give this working together thing a shot and see where it takes us.

Well, that got political fast. Returning to the actual experience.

I woke up at 6:45. Left the house around 7:15. Met Davis around 8. Lost all cell phone reception around 8:15 for most of the day. Got to our spot at the monument around 8:25. Waited there until the whole kit and kaboodle was over a little after one. I was uncomfortable, cramped and cold but I loved the whole thing. I am so glad I forced myself to go and I know I'll be even happier ten years from now when I can point in my kid's or grandkid's history book of an aerial view of the crowd and say "I was right there".

I teared up a couple of times (I'm an emotional douche) but it was good. I felt inspired and I really do believe that we can change this downward spiral we're currently stuck in (in so many different aspects of the country). I teared up first when the chair of the Inauguration Committee first spoke. Then again when John William's piece was performed (I loved the opening but the whole "tis a gift" variation on a theme thing didn't quite blow my skirt up). Finally, of course, I teared up a couple times during Barack's speech. I'll be damned if that man can't speak and inspire. I guess that's why they pay him the big bucks now.

Warren's invocation was boring and flat. I, of course, am somewhat biased towards him but I think even if I wasn't, I wouldn't have thought much of it. The only thing I will latch onto though is how he said SAH-SHAH(!) in the GAYEST possible way. You hate homos rev. Warren? Then stop talking like us.

Overall, I was moved and very pleased with the whole event. I considered going out tonight as I don't have to go into work but after the trek back (culminating at it's peak in an hour long bottleneck trying to exit the mall) I think I may just wall myself off from other human beings for a while. (At least until tomorrow when I go back to work at a tourist destination.)

I believe I'll come to a close. I'm going to try and start writing concisely but it seems like that's something I just don't really do so don't hold your breath. Inauguration was amazing and I'm honored and amazed I got to be a part of it. Again, Yay 2009!

5 comments:

  1. I probably would have given my left nut to be there. I am very jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I looked for you on CSPAN! I didn't see you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm...interesting. Glad you had fun and experienced history...
    However, the whole Penis State incident is what kept GORE out of office. Kerry straight up lost. It took us a long time to learn that lesson. Also, the quartet performed "Air and Simple Gifts."

    God Bless America

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow thanks Anonymous, my brain was certainly not functioning. I went back to edit it and realized I hadn't even spell checked this before posting it up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You make me smile. ^_^

    Also, I like your verbose writing. I don't get to talk to you much, so it's nice to read what you're thinking.

    ReplyDelete